Sunday 26 May 2013

Bhagat Singh, ‘Why I Am an Atheist’

#1




‘I am going to sacrifice my life for a cause. What more consolation can there be? A God-believing Hindu may expect to be reborn a king; a Muslim or a Christian might dream of the luxuries he hopes to enjoy in paradise as a reward for the sufferings and sacrifices. What hope should I entertain? I know that it will be the end when then rope is tightened around my neck and the rafters moved from under my feet. To use more precise religious terminology – it will be my moment of utter annihilation. My soul will come to nothing. If I have the courage to think of the matter in the light of a “reward”, I see a short life of struggle with no such magnificent end as itself my “reward”. That is all.’

‘With no selfish motive or desire to be awarded here or hereafter, quite disinteresting have I devoted my life to the cause of independence, because I could not do otherwise.'
                                                      
                                                                                                    ---Bhagat Singh, ‘Why I Am an Atheist’

No comments:

Post a Comment